English Teachers for Spain
Madrid, Spain 0 Year
Elementary/Primary/Junior School,High/Secondary/Senior School,Conversational English
Native English Speaker
1000 - 1000 Euro (EUR) monthly
Do you want to teach English in Spain next academic year? Become a Language and Cultural ambassador in Madrid. ConversaSpain cooperates with public schools in different locations across Spain, to help the English department improve the language skills of their students and staff.
- Deadline: March 19th
- Program length: November 5th to June 28th
The relation with the schools and the placements are fully managed by the local government. The program provides participants with support moving to Spain, initial training, and advice on every day practical non-school-related matters. The conditions while teaching English in Madrid are:
- 16 teaching hours per week
- 4 consecutive teaching days
- €1,000 monthly stipend
- Mostly rural and pueblo locations, but also in the city
“I would recommend the experience with ConversaSpain as it was great to have a guaranteed placement and the support before coming to Spain was very helpful. I chose the immersion week option and was very happy. It gave me a good introduction to some of the main sites of Madrid, but more importantly allowed me to meet some other people in our program who I have remained friends with in my time here”, Grant H.,
Fees/Costs and Available Options
- basic: €1,050
- Basic + TEFL certification: €1,550
The Role of a Language and Cultural Ambassador in Spain
Participants could deliver conversational English lessons to students or staff, encourage oral practice in English, explain the culture of their own country, help in other subjects (such as science, art, P.E., history, or music), assist with pronunciation and grammar, prepare students for oral exams, and collaborate with teaching staff in creating teaching materials and planning lessons. The specific activities and tasks depend on the school.
language Assistants in Public Schools help teach English to Elementary, Middle and High School students. This is a supportive role, thus they aren’t in charge of entire classes and aren’t responsible for grading or discipline.
Assignment: Selected candidates will receive the details of their specific school placement 10 days before starting at the school. Age-group preferences are considered whenever possible (we cannot guarantee specific placement preferences).
There is no age limit and Spanish skills are not required to participate. However, there are some conditions candidates must fulfill to take part in the program:
- Be English speakers
- Be citizens of a country where English is the official language
- Hold a university degree in any subject
- Job placement ensured (Madrid area)
- Monthly stipend: €1,000
- 16 teaching hours per week in 4 consecutive teaching days
- Paid school holidays (Christmas, Easter, and local festivities), except for the summer period
- Pre-departure assistance: help with the visa application process and opening a bank account before arriving
- Welcome document: tips, advice, and practical tools to find permanent accommodation, among others
- Help with the police registration process
- Health insurance (EU citizens living in Europe)
- Orientation in Madrid: initial training and meeting with other participants
- Access to a multimedia platform with lessons, resources, and information
- ConversaSpain emergency support while in Spain
- Certificate of completion at the end of the program (issued by the Regional Education Authority)
- Activities held under the supervision and guidance of school teachers
- Two different programs available
1 - 25
ConversaSpain is a Spanish organization that cooperates with more than 250 public schools in different regions in Spain. It offers inspiring, challenging and rewarding opportunities to potential English language assistants from all over the world who want to . With ConversaSpain, native English speakers can teach English in Spain as language and cultural ambassadors in public schools in Madrid or Murcia (Auxiliares de Conversacion program).
Meddeas, a Spanish organization renowned for cooperating with private schools in Spain, has developed ConversaSpain, a spin-off with its dedicated team and brand. In fact, Meddeas supports ConversaSpain with its expertise. The corresponding regional Education Authority is in charge of the placements and of any school-related matters.
Created with the aim of providing high-quality experiences for hard-working and creative ESL teachers, ConversaSpain helps students in Spanish public schools with exposure to English from native speakers.
With ConversaSpain, participants teach English in Spain to students in Elementary, Middle, and/or High Schools in the public system. Tasks and teaching activities will vary from day-to-day, but it is a supportive role. Indeed, participants aren't in charge of an entire class, nor are they responsible for students' final grades or any serious disciplinary action. ConversaSpain are looking for truly dedicated ESL teachers who can fully embrace their role in Spain.